Thursday, September 14, 2006

Tales From Under The Desk, Part 13

See the sidebar for earlier Tales.

I heard the door close behind me and Steven led me down the hall.

“What are you doing? You’ve scared the shit out of him.”

He looked at me coolly. “It’s a security issue.”

I swallowed hard, not quite knowing what to think. Surely Steven wouldn’t have gone to this trouble if there was a chance of us getting caught. We’d talked about that at length. I’m a pretty good judge of people and he didn’t seem like the type to turn on me.

He led me back to the office where I’d stored my bag and I grabbed it out of the desk drawer. He said nothing else as we rode the elevator back to the ground floor. He walked me past the security desk and out the door.

Thoughts of security cameras and Eric losing his job and Steven getting in trouble crowded my mind.

When we got to my car, he reached took the visitor’s badge off my blouse. Finally he busted out in laughter. I was shocked and angry and on some level, amused to see him laugh so heartily.

“What the fuck is going on?!”

He finally stopped laughing at looked at me. “My boss was walking into the building and I needed to get you out of there and away from the security cameras quickly.”

“Why didn’t you just say that, Steven? Eric’s probably up there thinking he’s going to lose his job.”

“I know. Let me get back in there so I can put his mind at ease. Drive safe. Jackie will touch base so we can get together soon.”

All I could do was mumble a confused “thank you” as Steven kissed my cheek then turned and walked swiftly back into the building.


I put the pizza box on the seat next to me and drove home feeling somewhat nervous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HUH???? OK, now I'm even MORE confused!!! I do hope we don't have to wait to long to find out what the HELL is going on??? But great writing, Bella... you've got me hooked like a fush out of water, floudering to breathe!

Hugs and TTFN,
Tiggr